2018 Field Tours
Plant Health Tour:
Vegetable Pathology: (Gary Vallad)
- Management of tomato bacterial leaf spot and target spot.
- Management of downy mildew and powdery mildew on cucurbit crops.
- Evaluations of tomato breeding lines for resistance to target spot.
Weed Science: (Nathan Boyd)
- Weed control in vegetables
- Precision herbicide application
Nematology: (Johan Desaeger)
- Nematode Management in vegetables with fumigants and/or nematicides
- Performance of nematode-resistant tomato cultivars
Plant Breeding & Alternative Crop Tour:
Breeding: (Sam Hutton)
- Tour will showcase some of the latest UF/IFAS and commercial hybrids, alongside several proven varieties that are industry standards.
- The tour will also include virus-inoculated demonstrations plots of hybrids with TYLCV resistance, and transgenic lines with resistance to bacterial leaf spot.
Horticulture: (Shinsuke Agehara)
- Artichoke – production trials to demonstrate the potential of artichoke winter production in Florida.
- Hop yard tour – variety and production trials with LED lights (with Zhanao Deng)
Horticulture: (Zhanao Deng)
- Alternative crops for Florida: Pomegranate & Blackberry