2017 Field Tours
Plant Health Tour:
Vegetable Pathology: (Gary Vallad, UF/IFAS)
- Management of tomato bacterial leaf spot and target spot.
- Management of downy mildew and powdery mildew on cucurbit crops.
Weed Science: (Nathan Boyd)
- Weed control in vegetables
- Precision herbicide application
Nematology: (Johan Desaeger, UF/IFAS)
- Nematode Management in vegetables with fumigants and/or nematicides
- Performance of nematode-resistant tomato cultivars
Tractors and wagons will be making rounds to pick up or drop off attendees at the tour stops every 15 minutes.
Plant Breeding & Alternative Crop Tour:
Breeding: (Sam Hutton, UF/IFAS)
- Tour will showcase some of the latest UF/IFAS and commercial hybrids, alongside several proven varieties that are industry standards.
- The tour will also include virus-inoculated demonstrations plots of hybrids with TYLCV resistance.
Horticulture: (Shinsuke Agehara, UF/IFAS)
- Artichoke – production trials to demonstrate the potential of artichoke winter production in Florida.
- Hop yard tour – variety and production trials with LED lights (with Zhanao Deng)
Horticulture: (Zhanao Deng, UF/IFAS)
- Alternative crops for Florida: Pomegranate & Blackberry